Do you know how to identify a toxic female friend? You might be thinking, “Yes, of course.” But what I’ve learned in my own life is it’s not as easy as we think. It always starts subtle and before we know it, we are years into a friendship that sucks the life out of us. Women thrive in healthy friendships and community so it’s crucial we learn to identify a toxic female friend.
Friendships absolutely affect every area of your life: Mind, Body, and Spirit.
We need to have healthy friendships in my life for that very reason! I want women around me that will sit in silence with me-but will also speak words of hope during dark situations. I need to have people who help me shift my focus from despair to possibility. I need friends who understand my quirks, love my sense of humor, and know sometimes you just need to dance it out.
Unfortunately, I’ve had my share of toxic friendships. I’m a recovering “fixer” so I have learned this lesson the hard way. I tend to love fast and hard; and, that gets me hurt because I don’t notice the red flags as quickly as I should. But now I know what to look for.
A toxic female friend displays the following characteristics:
- Gossips about you and others.
- Share’s your secrets and makes excuses like “It’s no big deal” or “I just wanted to share so they could pray for you.” When you confront them.
- Belittles or makes fun of you in pubic and in private.
- Talks only about herself and her problems. She never asks questions about you or your life.
- Makes you feel worse when you are around her.
- Cannot apologize without excuses when wrong or hurtful.
Women thrive in healthy friendships that create community. That’s why you must be able to identify toxic friendships. You deserve friendships that are building your faith, raising your hope, and mutually beneficial.