Do you know how to identify a toxic friend? You might be thinking, “Yes, of course.” But what I’ve learned in my own life is it’s not as easy as we think. Toxic friends always start subtle but before we know it, we are years into a friendship that sucks the life out of us. Women thrive in healthy friendships and community. We need each other! So, it’s crucial we learn to identify a toxic female friend.
A toxic friend affects every area of your life: Mind, Body, and Spirit.
You need women around you that will sit in silence with you-but will also speak words of hope during dark situations. We need strong friends who help you shift your focus from despair to possibility. Your friends should understand your quirks, love your sense of humor, and know that sometimes you just need to dance it out.
Not all friendships are healthy. But, there are red flags you can watch out for.
A toxic friend displays the following characteristics:
- Gossips about you and others.
- Share’s your secrets and makes excuses like “It’s no big deal” or “I just wanted to share so they could pray for you.” When you confront them.
- Belittles or makes fun of you in pubic and in private.
- Talks only about herself and her problems.
- Never asks questions about you or your life.
- Makes you feel worse when you are around her.
- Cannot apologize without excuses when wrong or hurtful.
Women thrive in healthy friendships that create community.
That’s why you must be able to identify a toxic friends. You deserve friendships that are building your faith, raising your hope, and are mutually beneficial. Trust your gut when you see those red flags!
with Grace & Grit,
Before you go, here are 3 ways to stay in touch:
- Follow Raychel on her favorite social media platform, Instagram.
- Subscribe to the She Who Overcomes Podcast on iTunes or wherever you listen to podcasts. Co-hosted by Raychel Perman and Mandy B. Anderson, She Who Overcomes is a weekly series of real-life stories and conversations that provides the listener with hope and action steps to transform your life, leadership, and career.
- Join the Tribe of Overcomers Facebook Group for weekly motivation and interaction!